Sunday, June 8, 2014

YOUR POWER IS IN YOUR INDIVIDUALITY By Ronda Hinrichsen

I recently read a statement like this from a fellow blogger: My life is so boring. I don't have anything to write about. No one wants to read about me.

Sound familiar?

All too often, writers--no, human beings--feel that way. We become so ingrained, so day in and day out acquainted, with our own lives that we forget this truth: We, each one of us, are infinitely more intriguing than we think we are. 

Not only intriguing, but powerful. Who else sees things exactly as we do? Who else owns our particular combination of talents and experiences? Who else has the power to calm, to comfort, even influence those special someones in our lives?

No one. Only you.

When I was in college, I had a creative writing teacher, Dorla Jenkins, who had a powerful affect upon me and my writing; and one of the things she told us students was: "Your value--your power--is in your individuality."

It's a statement I will never forget. It's a statement I hope everyone, including my aforementioned fellow blogger, will come to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment