Sunday, June 8, 2014

THE WORTH OF A SOUL By Ronda Hinrichsen

Years ago, I had the impression I should write a song, but I had no idea how I could accomplish such a task. Yes, I’d had musical training in voice and piano, but very little theory training, and even less in musical composition. Worse, I’d only been married for a few years and didn't own a piano. I simply couldn't do it, and even if I could, why would God want me to do it?

I pondered that problem for some time and finally confessed my struggles to my husband. He said, “If the Lord told you to do something, He’ll help you find a way.”  His convictions gave me the courage to move forward, but still I wondered “why.”

Finally, after months of personal study, struggle, and prayer, I completed it. After that, still trying to find the answer to “why,” I performed the song in church and family settings, but I still didn't’t receive a confirmation of its purpose. I was beginning to wonder if the only reason I’d been “assigned” to write it was so I could learn more about music. One day, the answer came: I needed to give the song to a relative I barely knew. It was meant for her. Again, “why?”

Like I said, I barely knew the girl, so I still don't know why needed to write and give it to her, but I did feel like my gift touched her heart, at least a little, and reminded her that Heavenly Father was aware of her.

I learned a profound principle through that experience: the worth of the soul is great in the sight of God. Think of it. Writing that song was not easy for me. I had to struggle and study. I had to invent ways to compensate for my lack of resources. I had to pray. And when I completed the “assignment,” I learned its “only” purpose was to touch, perhaps, the heart of one soul. Needless to say, that witness humbled me.

I have since gathered a few “Worth of Soul” quotes I’d like to share here. Most, if not all, you may have heard before, but like the simple testimony of the song, “I am a Child of God,” their repetition and simplicity do not negate their power.  
1) Jesus Christ:

"What man of you, having an hundred sheep, if he lose one of them, doth not leave the ninety and nine in the wilderness, and go after that which is lost, until he find it?

"And when he hath found it, he layeth it on his shoulders, rejoicing.

“And when he cometh home, he calleth together his friends and neighbours, saying unto them, Rejoice with me; for I have found my sheep which was lost.

“I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.” (
Luke 15:4–7.)
 2) President Thomas S. Monson:

“In March of 1967, early in my service as a member of the Council of the Twelve, I was attending a conference of the Monument Park West Stake in Salt Lake City. My companion for the conference was a member of the General Church Welfare Committee, Paul C. Child. President Child was a student of the scriptures. He had been my stake president during my Aaronic Priesthood years. Now we were together as conference visitors.

“When it was his opportunity to participate, President Child took in hand the Doctrine and Covenants and left the pulpit to stand among the priesthood brethren to whom he was directing his message. He turned to section 18 and began to read:

“’Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God.

“And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!’”

“President Child then raised his eyes from the scriptures and asked the brethren: ‘What is the worth of a human soul?’ He avoided calling on a bishop, a stake president, or a high councilor for a response. Instead, he selected the president of an elders quorum—a brother who had been a bit drowsy and had missed the significance of the question.

"The startled man responded, ‘Brother Child, could you please repeat the question?’

"The question was repeated: ‘What is the worth of a human soul?’

“I knew President Child’s style. I prayed fervently for that quorum president. He remained silent for what seemed like an eternity and then declared, ‘Brother Child, the worth of a human soul is its capacity to become as God.’

“All present pondered that reply. Brother Child returned to the stand, leaned over to me, and said, ‘A profound reply; a profound reply!’
3) Elder Boyd K. Packer:
“no greater ideal has been revealed than the supernal truth that we are the children of God, and we differ, by virtue of our creation, from all other living things” (Ensign, May 1992, p. 67).

4) Elaine L. Jack:
“Over and over again, the Lord assures us of our worth and value to him. In 
D&C 18:10–11, he admonishes us to ‘remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God;

“’For, behold, the Lord your Redeemer suffered death in the flesh; wherefore he suffered the pain of all men, that all men might repent and come unto him.’

“Our eternal worth is given to us by God; it cannot be manipulated or decreased by anyone. Of course, if we are not living the commandments, we may lose sight of our divine worth and potential. Nevertheless, each soul’s inherent worth is always great in the sight of our loving Heavenly Father. I think that is imperative to know! Worthlessness is not an option for anyone.”

5) 
Marvin J. Ashton:

“A wise teacher and stake Relief Society president … flashed a large picture on a screen. It showed a bright-eyed boy with unkempt hair and folded arms, deep in thought. The caption read, ‘I know I’m somebody ‘cause God don’t make no junk.’ Please let me repeat, ‘I know I’m somebody ‘cause God don’t make no junk.’"


"Junk" has been defined as discarded, useless, meaningless matter, and yet too many times we compare ourselves to it. Even when I'd received the impression to write the song, I doubted both my ability and my worth to do it. I was a mere "nobody," right? Wrong. My testimony, added to those I've listed above, is I, like you, am a Child of God. We are matter organized for specific, eternal purposes. We, collectively and individually, are those Jesus Christ sacrificed His life and blood for. In truth, it isn't self-deprecation we should feel. It's eternal amazement.

No comments:

Post a Comment