Sunday, June 8, 2014

BROCCOLI WITH GARLIC--A GREAT RECIPE By Ronda Hinrichsen

As I've said before, my husband and I went to China last summer. While there, our eyes, noses, and taste buds were awakened to many new senses. Sometimes we liked what we saw, smelled, or tasted, and sometimes we didn't, but there was one dish my husband tried (I wasn't there at the time) at one of his favorite restaurants in Shanghai which he loved so much that when he got home, he searched the internet until he found a recipe that seemed to contain all the flavors he remembered. Then, he went directly to the store, bought the ingredients, and soon after cooked it up. His first try wasn't quite right, he said, so he experimented with the cooking time and the amount of garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper until he finally found his--now our--favorite combination. My family LOVES this dish. Including the kids. We've even had a few family, late night snacks of just this broccoli, so I thought I'd share it with you. I've copied this recipe directly from sneakykitchen.com. I hope you enjoy it. Actually, I bet you will!
Broccoli with Garlic
1 1bunch of broccoli, OR 1 lb. frozen chopped broccoli (we only use fresh broccoli)
6 garlic cloves
1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons water
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional--we use it!)

1.  Wash broccoli and cut into small florets.  (We do not use the stems.)

2. Steam in a microwave steamer or over boiling water until barely tender and still bright green (about 3-1/2 to 5 minutes in a microwave, depending on the volume of broccoli and water). Don't overcook: with all cruciferae, this is a very important guideline!


3.  Place olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Chop or mince the garlic. When the oil is hot, add the salt then the garlic. Sauté, stirring frequently, just until the garlic starts to soften. Quickly add the water, and the cayenne pepper if desired. Turn heat low and simmer for a couple of minutes. Place the broccoli in a large glass or crockery serving bowl. Pour the garlic mixture over it, mixing gently to coat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment