Sunday, June 8, 2014

STANDARD'S EVENT

I am currently the Young Women's President in my ward, and since I'm always looking for good or new activity ideas, I thought it might be helpful for others in a similar situation if I post some of my more effective ideas here. Also, I always love comments, so even if you have "nothing" to say, but you do have an idea you'd like to share, please add it in a comment. Someone out there, besides me, will truly appreciate it. 

STANDARD'S DAY
On a weekday morning, shortly after school dismissed for the year, my counselors and I took our young women to our local temple to do baptisms for the dead. After that, we assembled them in the temple waiting room and presented a short (about ten or fifteen minutes) narration/talk about the importance of the temple, the strength and blessings that come from making covenants there, and retold a few stories about how much the early pioneers sacrificed "just" for the temple. The temple meant everything to them and was worth all they could give and do and sacrifice to get there.

Next, we took them out for ice cream. Youth always like to go out for ice cream, so that was not only a plus in and of itself, but it also gave them another "good" memory related to temple attendance. Also, before we left the waiting room, I said, "When you're eating your ice cream, think, 'ummm, this is good, but the temple is better.'" Whether they did it or not, I don't know, but at least the words went through their minds.

After that, we retreated to my counselor's home where we changed clothes, played games, and prepared for a wiener roast (we were combining camp certification requirements at this time, too). After the wiener roast, we had a special speaker, a woman, come, gather us around the living room, and candidly discuss with them the importance of keeping our standards, especially modesty, and not letting ourselves lose sight of our greatest "marriage" goal: being sealed in the temple.

It was a long day, but turned out really well.

No comments:

Post a Comment