Sunday, June 8, 2014

DEAR VOID By Ronda Hinrichsen

One of my favorite movies is "You've Got Mail." In it, Meg Ryan's character "throws" her thoughts into the "void," hungering for an answer from someone (in her case, Tom Hanks' character), yet not really knowing how to voice the question. That's how I feel right now, like I want to throw my thoughts into the great void and see what comes back to me. So this is it:
Several months ago, I walked into our local Middle School where I work. The lunch bell had just rung and the halls were crowded with students heading to the cafeteria. Most times when this happens, my only thoughts are based on how to avoid head-on collisions with them as I make my way to the office. But that day was different. That day I saw an army of righteous youth. Some of them I recognized or had church related relationships with, but most I didn't know. And yet, I saw their "cleanness." Their "goodness." And the thoughts that coursed through me were, "Do they have any concept of how much righteous power they have and can influence on this world? Do they recognize their value?"
I don't know. I hope so. And I hope the desire to "save" this world fills "every fiber of their beings." (JK!) But I do hope it touches every breath, every pore, every blood cell.
But if it doesn't, how can we, as their parents and leaders help them to "see?"
That's my question, Dear Void.
Is anyone out there?

No comments:

Post a Comment